It all began in 1998 when one of the greatest modern medical marvels was approved for sale in the world. Viagra, also affectionately called ‘The Little Blue Pill’, was originally meant to treat angina. The trials proved this drug a failure for the heart, but a wonder, for something else –the deteriorating love lives of people all over the globe. Very quickly, Viagra became symbolic with romance and relationships for countless couples.
In just the first year of approval, the drug caused such hysteria that it became a cultural phenomenon by registering more than One Billion USD sales.
The Little Blue Pill: A wonder of the modern age
Before the little Blue Pill became mainstream, the erectile dysfunction treatment was very complicated. It involved cringe-worthy injections and penile pumps. Perhaps rightfully so, these treatments did little to induce romance into the love life of either male or female partners.
And then there was suddenly a revolutionary drug that went above and beyond expectations. This drug solved all the problems associated with waning love life while keeping it tasteful. It stimulated the imagination, encouraged romance and invigorated the soul. As the joke went, it turned a floppy drive into a hard drive (not that today’s generation will ever know what a floppy drive is).
What is ED?
Erectile Dysfunction is an inability to achieve or keep a fruitful erection for sexual activity. Having trouble from time to time is not a cause for much concern. However, a persistent inability for erection can cause several psychological and physical issues. It can be a sign of an underlying health condition or a complicated mental block. Therefore, it is imperative to see a doctor when symptoms of ED appear. This condition is not to be ignored and must be treated.
Following are the major causes of ED;
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Chronic alcohol use
- Drug abuse
- Certain medicines
- Psychological issues like depression
What is the Blue Pill?
Sildenafil was created as a result of amazing research by three American scientists, and they eventually went to win a Nobel Prize in medicine for their efforts. The researchers discovered that nitric oxide makes the blood vessels wide. The little blue pill functions to bind the nitric oxide to the receptors that enable relaxation in helicine arteries. As a result, it increases the blood flow into the soft tissue of the penis, resulting in a healthy erection. If nothing spoils the mood, this wonder drug prepares you to have a fantastic time with your partner. Indeed, the little blue pill stimulates the spark of romance in a declining relationship and turns it into a roaring inferno.
How does the little Blue Pill work?
In ED, your nerves do not properly communicate with the brain. As a result, the blood doesn’t properly flow into the corpus cavernosum. The Little Blue Pill works by relaxing the walls of your blood vessels. It lets the blood flow freely and more easily into the parts of your penis that help achieve an erection.
How long does the Blue Pill take to work?
Sildenafil comes in different brands –some are more targeted than others. Viagra (also affectionately called the little Blue Pill) is the most well-known form of Sildenafil, and it normally starts working in 30-60 minutes after oral administration.
Please keep in mind that Viagra may not start working on its own. You may still need to feel arousal to achieve an erection. Moreover, feeling relaxed and comfortable may also help Viagra take effect quicker.
How long does the Blue Pill last?
In the majority of cases, Viagra lasts for 2-3 hours before its effects begin to diminish. At most, it can last up to 5 hours or even longer. The maximum time limit depends on several factors, like the body’s metabolism, dosage and other external factors. It is also possible to achieve multiple erections with a single dosage.
Please remember that Viagra doesn’t make you last longer in bed. It merely ensures that when going for a sexual experience, you are ready for the occasion. Additionally, Viagra may not work immediately after a successful ejaculation because your body may be in the refractory period. However, the little Blue Pill is called a wonder drug for a reason. It may decrease the recovery period between two sexual experiences.
Where can I buy a little Blue Pill?
For years, the little blue pill remained a prescription drug in the UK, which did not make it any less popular. However, it did give a sharp rise to the black market deals. Nowadays, Viagra is available over the counter all over the UK. This move was initiated by the Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) in 2017 to prevent people from using unregulated sources and websites.
You can simply go to a local pharmacy or order it online from an authentic supplier. By eliminating personal interaction between the buyer and the seller, you can also reduce the instances of embarrassment. Most online delivery services also offer delivery of the little Blue Pill in discreet, unmarked packaging –making things even easier for the buyer.
The reasons for Blue Pill’s popularity in the black market
The legitimate industry for Viagra or any other brand of Sildenafil is already huge. However, the sale of unlicensed ED drugs still remains a lucrative industry. There are two main reasons why the illegal market is hard to eliminate.
- First, the initial price of Viagra was too high because Pfizer had an exclusive patent to it. So, for 15 years, it remained something covetous for a majority of the people, especially in the countries where it was seen as something immoral, like Saudi Arabia. People had no choice but to obtain Viagra through illegal means. When the patent ended in 2013, Viagra’s prices dropped sharply, but the stigma still somewhat remains.
- Second, using Viagra or even expressing the desire to use it is something that goes contrary to the traditional male image. It brings a level of embarrassment that many men cannot seem to get over. Instead of asking a GP, they revel in the relative anonymity offered by dubious sources.
The Little Blue Pill: A popular butt of jokes
When there’s an embarrassment in something, it inevitably leads to the humour. Upon Viagra’s launch more than two decades ago, some of the first beneficiaries were not the users but the comedians and chat show hosts. The Little Blue Pill became a viral target for punchlines like, “a Heroin overdose kills the guy, and a Viagra overdose kills the wife.”
The truth is ED is a very serious issue. The vulnerability induced by an inability to achieve fruitful erections can lead to many mental and physical health problems. It can destroy a man’s self-esteem and destroy relationships. Humour at the expense of ED is inevitable, but it should not take attention away from the fact that it is a real problem and Viagra solves a real issue.
Is Blue Pill only for men?
Yes, the little Blue Pill is meant for use in men alone. There is some anecdotal evidence that Viagra also enhances sexual pleasure in women, but the data is inconclusive. You may have heard about ‘female Viagra’ that specifically helps females stimulate sexual interest. However, this term is misleading. There is no little pill equivalent for females because female sexual arousal is far more complex than men.
- Addyi is a drug that treats low sexual desire in premenopausal women. Unlike Viagra, it works by directly affecting brain chemistry.
- Vyleesi is another drug for the treatment of low sexual desire in premenopausal women. It is an injectable drug that must be taken 30-45 minutes prior to sexual activity. To be truthful, this drug barely works better than a placebo.
More effective Blue Pill equivalents for women are currently in the experimental phase.
Is Blue Pill safe?
Like any other medication, the little Blue Pill can also have some side effects and may not be suitable for use in some people. For example, it is not safe to use Viagra in people suffering from heart disease, high blood pressure, and angina. Do not use this pill if you have recently had a heart attack. Please inform your doctor of any existing medical condition or medication you take before taking it.
As long as you take appropriate precautions, there is no need to worry about possible dangers. Besides, Viagra has been in use since 1998. Since its launch, it has become one of the most commonly used drugs in the world. Countless studies, researches and experiments have been carried out that have proven its efficacy. So use the little Blue Pill to your heart’s content. As long as you follow the instructions, you will be safe.
Popular alternative ED treatments
Since the little Blue Pill became available for commercial use in 1998, many new alternative ED medicines have become available in the market. If one doesn’t work for you, then another might. These are the most popular alternative ED treatments available in the market;
Sildenafil: Sildenafil Citrate is the active ingredient in Viagra, so their effects are nearly identical. This medication is commonly referred to as ‘The Little Blue Pill’.
Cialis (Tadalafil): It is also known as the weekend pill because its effects may last up to 36 hours or long enough to enjoy an entire weekend.
Spedra (Avanafil): Spedra is among the fastest-acting ED tablets available. It works in just 15-30 minutes, which is 2-3 times faster than the Blue Pill. Spedra can provide you with that edge you require if the time to onset is a significant enough factor for you.
What do the critics say?
- Critics often say that many people take Viagra for the wrong reasons. Officially, it is prescribed for erectile dysfunction, but many more tend to pop the pills to enhance their sexual prowess or get over nervousness.
- Some critics also say that sex is about more than indulging lust. They insist that the little Blue Pill excludes the emotional component from a sexual relationship, which ends up hurting a relationship in the long run.
- People look at the little Blue Pill as another quick fix in this age of quick fixes. They ignore the deeper intimacy that a real connection between the lovers can achieve. Some critics insist that any sexual problems in a relationship are usually caused by deeper emotional problems. They say it is better to solve these underlying problems first instead of indulging in pharma-assisted sex and letting the issues fester.
- Men of advanced ages often see Viagra as the fountain of youth. They get to experience sexual pleasure once more, suddenly acting like rabbits. They may insist their equally aged wives for sex or even begin affairs with younger women. As a result, Viagra creates a disparity of sexual intentions and expectations in older couples. In fact, many cases of divorce are caused by Viagra-fueled affairs.
- Some women express mixed feelings about Viagra. They insist that it may have facilitated their sexual experiences, but it has done nothing to contribute towards that elusive reward of a female orgasm. It is common knowledge that many women do not orgasm through sexual intercourse alone. They need more intimacy to achieve an orgasm, which is absent from a Viagra-fueled sexual tryst. This medicine only fuels the age-old issue of men only caring for their own orgasms, not making an effort to reciprocate the experience for their partners.
Effect of the little Blue Pill on the society
We live in a society where manhood is viewed as an essential cultural construct, and it is inextricably linked with producing an on-demand erection. The possibility of failing to produce an erection when demanded is humiliating and emasculating. It can destroy men’s self-esteem quite effectively.
The Little Blue Pill acts as a shield against such embarrassment. It ensures that the option of penetrative sex is always on the table, regardless of the location and time. It lets the couples become intimate with each other without any pressure. Not just the elderly, the young men also use it to overcome any nervousness.
Both men and women have welcomed their partner’s ability to engage in pleasurable activities on demand. It keeps the spark alive when the times are tough. In addition, the little Blue Pill helps a condom stay on, reducing risks for contracting sexually transmitted diseases.
ED treatments in history
Viagra has proven itself as a turning point in the age-old effort to find a meaningful treatment of ED. In the past, the prospects of such treatment were dubious at best and scary at worst.
- Ancient men of the Greek and Roman origin used to eat snakes or the genitalia of goats and roosters to increase their sexual prowess.
- Romans also believed that wearing the right molar of a crocodile as a talisman guarantees erections.
- A monk back in the 1200s advised people to roast a wolf’s penis and eat it to achieve arousal in an instant.
- During the age of the renaissance, some European astrologers suggested urinating through a spouse’s wedding ring would guarantee erections.
- Some two hundred years ago, electrical belts, beds and shock therapies also promised help to achieve arousal on-demand.
Do erection problems really affect relationships?
Contrary to popular belief, the inability to achieve timely erections doesn’t just affect men. It can have an equally devastating effect on their partner and the overall relationship. Where men feel frustration or depression, seeing their lack of erection on-demand as something that makes them lacking masculinity, women also feel their share of anxiety. It may make them feel that perhaps they are not attractive enough or their partner is having an affair with someone else.
Talking about a problem solves half the issue. Openly discussing and trusting your partner about your fears brings people even closer to each other. It creates a foundation of trust. ED is nothing to be ashamed of because it is one of the easiest medical disorders to solve for modern medicine. The Blue Pill is truly a wonder that sparks the dying embers of love into a roaring inferno.
Is there anything that should concern you when taking the little Blue Pill?
A single dose of the little Blue Pill lasts for a few hours. However, it doesn’t mean you will have an erection during the whole time, as it only helps increase the blood flow and make achieving an erection easier. If you think the pill isn’t working quick enough, apply external stimulation in the form of masturbation or foreplay to achieve the desired results.
- If the pill still doesn’t work after half an hour of administration, do not take any more than the recommended dose prescribed by your doctor. Never take more than 100mg of Sildenafil a day.
- Taking an excessive amount of Viagra may cause Priapism. It is a very rare condition in which an erection lasts longer than 4 hours and becomes very painful. It may cause damage to penile tissue if not treated right away.
- Patients with anatomical deformation of the penis must also be cautious when using the little Blue Pill without the specific recommendation of their doctor.
- It is preferable to not take ED medicines with heart disease medications that contain nitrates.
Viagra is seen as something as revolutionary as female contraceptives, perhaps even more. As long as you take it in moderation and remain aware of the conditions, you can easily spice up your sex life. Old age, heart disease, diabetes and other medical conditions do not necessarily mean you give up sexual pleasure completely. So bring the colour back into your life with your best friend, ‘The Little Blue Pill.’