What are Sumatriptan tablets, and can you buy Sumatriptan tablets online in the UK? This query is widespread among migraine patients. These days, choosing to purchase a medication online has become the norm. However, while it may be incredibly convenient and cost-effective occasionally, one must know basic facts regarding the medicine.
Well, keep reading to find out the answers and more.
What are Sumatriptan Tablets?
Sumatriptan is a medicine used to treat migraine headaches and other associated conditions. At its core, Sumatriptan belongs to a class of drugs known as serotonin-1 receptor agonists. However, in some cases, it may be used as part of a combination therapy, which means you may need to take it along with other medications.
Sumatriptan oral tablet is known as a prescription drug. It is also available as a brand-name drug referred to as Imigran. However, you can also find this as a generic drug, as generic medicines cost less than brand-name drugs.
You can find it in various forms. For instance, it comes in a nasal spray, an injectable solution, or a nasal powder. Your GP will decide the best treatment option for you. However, if you plan to buy sumatriptan tablets online, Click Pharmacy is one of the best options to consult with the healthcare expert Jana Ablovaska from the comfort of your home.
Causes of taking Sumatriptan
Sumatriptan is a medicine used to treat migraines and cluster headaches. People who suffer from these conditions experience severe and persistent headaches, which can be debilitating and hurt their quality of life. The root causes of migraines and cluster headaches are still not fully understood. Still, various factors are believed to trigger these conditions, such as stress, certain foods or drinks, hormonal changes, and environmental factors like light and noise. Therefore, Sumatriptan is recommended to alleviate the symptoms associated with migraines and cluster headaches and improve the patient's overall well-being.
Sumatriptan is a medication primarily used to treat migraines and cluster headaches. The drug belongs to a class of medications called selective serotonin receptor agonists, which work by narrowing the blood vessels around the brain and reducing inflammation. This helps to relieve pain and other symptoms associated with migraines and cluster headaches, such as nausea, sensitivity to light or sound, and visual disturbances.
Sumatriptan can also help prevent the recurrence of migraines and reduce the need for other medications to manage the condition. The medicine is available in different forms, including tablets, nasal sprays, and injections. The choice of medication form depends on the patient's preference and the severity of the condition.
Sumatriptan is recommended for people who frequently experience migraines or cluster headaches or those who experience severe pain and discomfort, which limits their ability to carry out daily activities. However, the medication should be taken under the guidance and supervision of a healthcare professional to manage any potential side effects and ensure optimal treatment outcomes.
How to take Sumatriptan?
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to take Sumatriptan oral tablet:
- First, wash your hands so they are clean before handling the medication.
- Sit or stand in a comfortable position.
- Open the packaging and remove the tablet.
- Place the tablet in your mouth and allow it to dissolve on your tongue.
- You may drink water to help swallow the pill after it dissolves.
- If your headache persists, you may take a second tablet after 2 hours but do not exceed the maximum daily dose recommended by your doctor.
Taking Sumatriptan with enough water is essential to help it work properly. You can take it with or without food but try to avoid skipping a meal. Remember to follow your doctor's instructions; if you have any doubts, always consult a healthcare professional.
The following dosage information pertains to sumatriptan oral tablets. Please note that this may not include all possible dosages and drug forms. Your dosage and how frequently you take the drug will depend on several factors, including the following:
- Your age
- The condition being treated
- The severity of your condition
- Other medical diagnoses you may have
- How well do you tolerate the initial dose?
Forms and strengths:
- Generic: Sumatriptan
- Form: Oral tablet
- Strengths: 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg
- Brand: Imigran
Migraine headache dosage
Adult dosage (ages 18-64 years):
- Typical starting dosage: One tablet (25 mg, 50 mg, or 100 mg) should be taken upon the onset of migraine symptoms.
- Dosage increases: If adequate relief is not achieved within two hours of administration of the initial dose, another dose can be taken at least two hours after the first dose.
- Maximum dosage: Do not exceed 200 mg during 24 hours.
Child dosage (ages 0-17 years):
- The safety and efficacy of sumatriptan use in children have not been confirmed. Therefore, it should not be used in individuals under 18.
Senior dosage (ages 65 years and older):
- Older adults' kidneys, livers, and hearts may not function as efficiently as they once did. This may slow down the body's ability to process drugs. As a result, more of a drug may remain in the body for an extended period, increasing the risk of side effects.
Doctors may consider starting patients on a lower dose or a modified medication schedule to prevent levels of the drug from building up excessively in the body. In addition, before prescribing Sumatriptan, your doctor should evaluate the condition of your heart if you have certain heart disease risks.
What are some Indications of Sumatriptan overdose?
Sumatriptan tablets are intended for short-term treatment. However, you may face grave consequences if you try to use it as a long-term treatment. On the other hand, if you do not take the drug, the symptoms of migraine you experience may not improve.
Similarly, as mentioned, if you take too much Sumatriptan, you could have a dangerous amount of the drug in your body. Symptoms of an overdose can include the following:
- Paralysis of one limb
- Paralysis of one side of the body, or even the whole body
- Swelling and redness of the limbs (arms and legs)
- Trouble inhaling and exhaling
- Vertigo or loss of balance
Sumatriptan Interaction with other medication
Sumatriptan may interact with other medications, which may result in serious side effects or reduce the effectiveness of the medicine. Some of the drugs known to interact with Sumatriptan include:
Other Triptans: Using Sumatriptan with other triptans may increase the risk of developing serotonin syndrome, a severe and potentially life-threatening condition.
Ergotamine: Using Sumatriptan with ergotamine-containing medications can cause severe increases in blood pressure, leading to a dangerous and potentially life-threatening condition.
MAO inhibitors: Sumatriptan should not be taken within 14 days of using MAO inhibitors, as this may lead to severe and potentially life-threatening interactions.
SSRIs and SNRIs: Using Sumatriptan with certain antidepressants, such as SSRIs and SNRIs, may increase the risk of developing serotonin syndrome.
Propranolol: Using Sumatriptan with propranolol, a medication used to treat high blood pressure, may reduce the effectiveness of the medicine.
Lithium: Using Sumatriptan with lithium, a medication used to treat bipolar disorder, may increase the risk of developing serotonin syndrome.
It's essential to inform a healthcare professional about any medications, supplements, or vitamins taken before using Sumatriptan to avoid potential interactions and ensure optimal treatment outcomes.
Side Effects of Sumatriptan
Here are some common and severe side effects of Sumatriptan tablet:
Common side effects:
- Dry mouth
- Tingling or numbness in the fingers or toes
- Chest pain or tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid heartbeat
- High blood pressure
- Low blood pressure
- Visual disturbances
- Weakness or fatigue
- Abdominal pain
- Back pain
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
- Rash or hives
- Swelling on the face, tongue, lips or throat
- Increased sensitivity to light, sound, or touch
- Mood changes, including depression, anxiety, or irritability.
Severe side effects:
- Heart attack
- Serotonin syndrome
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat
- Severe allergic reactions
- Severe dizziness
- Blurred vision
- Loss of coordination
- Weakness or numbness in the face, arm, or leg
- Difficulty speaking or understanding speech
- Severe or persistent headache
- Swelling in the hands, feet, or ankles
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth or lips
- Vision loss or blindness
- Problems with memory or concentration
- Enlarged pupils
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Skin reactions such as peeling, blistering or rash.
It's essential to seek immediate medical attention if these severe side effects occur while using the Sumatriptan tablet.
Warnings for people with certain health conditions
If you have any of the following health conditions, you should not use Sumatriptan to treat your migraines:
- Heart conditions: Sumatriptan may cause severe problems with your heart, especially if you have a history of heart attack, coronary artery disease (CAD), or angina (chest pain).
- Heart rhythm disorders: Sumatriptan may cause changes in your heart rhythm, which can be dangerous if you have certain heart rhythm disorders.
- Previous stroke or mini-stroke: If you've ever had a stroke, you should not use Sumatriptan as it may cause severe bleeding in the brain or stroke.
- Problems with circulation: If you have a condition called peripheral vascular disease, Sumatriptan may cause or worsen your symptoms, and you should not use this drug.
- Severe bowel disorders: Sumatriptan may cause or worsen symptoms of ischemic bowel disease, so if you have this condition, talk with your doctor about whether this drug is safe for you.
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure: Sumatriptan can increase your blood pressure, so if you have high blood pressure that's not controlled, you should not take this medication.
- Severe liver disease: If you have serious liver disease, you should not use Sumatriptan.
- Seizures: Sumatriptan may cause seizures, so if you've had episodes, talk to your doctor about whether this drug is safe.
Always tell your doctor about your health conditions before taking Sumatriptan or any other medication. Your doctor will find different options to treat your migraine symptoms if Sumatriptan is unsafe.
What things should I know when I buy migraine tablets?
When you buy migraine tablets, it is better to be aware of how to take them and the ideal dosage for you. The dosage may vary depending on the person. Remember that your dosage, drug form, and how often you have to take the drug will depend on various factors. These factors include your age, the condition being treated, how severe the condition is, if you have any other medical conditions and how you react to the first dose of these tablets. You can go through the complete description on our product page by clicking this link.
How to verify the authenticity of Sumatriptan?
You can verify whether the Sumatriptan prescription tablets you received are authentic in various ways. You can either consult a pharmacist near you or take a careful look at the tablet. When you buy Sumatriptan tablets in the UK, they usually have an "S" engraved on each tablet. Also, you may be able to find the batch number on the container, which you can use to verify the authentication of the medicine. However, stay assured that each batch of medication at Click Pharmacy goes through vigorous approvals.
Essential Considerations When Taking Sumatriptan
If your doctor has prescribed sumatriptan oral tablets, keep these considerations in mind:
- You can take sumatriptan tablets with or without food.
- Do not cut or crush the tablet.
- Call ahead to confirm availability when filling your prescription since not every pharmacy carries this drug.
- Store sumatriptan tablets between 36°F and 86°F (2°C and 30°C).
- Keep this drug away from light and avoid storing it in damp areas such as bathrooms.
A prescription for Sumatriptan is refillable, and your doctor will indicate the number of refills authorized.
When travelling with your medication:
- Always carry Sumatriptan with you, and do not pack it in your checked bag while flying.
- Airport X-ray machines cannot damage your medication, but you may need to show the pharmacy label to security staff.
- Do not leave your medication in the car, particularly during hot or cold weather.
- Your doctor will monitor your health during treatment with Sumatriptan and may check blood pressure, heart rate and rhythm, vision, kidney function, and liver function.
- Additional blood tests may also be required to ensure proper kidney and liver function.
You may need blood tests during treatment with Sumatriptan, and the cost of these tests will depend on your insurance coverage.
Your insurance company may require prior authorization before covering the cost of Sumatriptan. Your doctor may need to obtain this authorization before filling the prescription.
Buy Sumatriptan Tablets UK from Click Pharmacy
You can buy Sumatriptan tablets online in the UK through Click Pharmacy, one of the most reliable e-pharmacies. Since these tablets are prescription-based, you must upload your prescription before placing an order. We offer assistance in every manner. In any case, if you do not have a prescription, the in-house doctors will review your case and determine whether or not you require this medication. You can easily buy Sumatriptan through the website if your case is approved.
In addition, Click Pharmacy is regulated by the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) and NHS. Therefore, all the medicines on the website are genuine and safe.
We also deliver your purchase in discreet packaging with the next-day delivery option.